Saturday, December 17, 2011

Why Not Take A Chance

Want to take a chance on being a good Samaritan? This could be a stretch for some of us, maybe many more than some. I must admit I gave it great pause.
It may be implausible to believe the situation but I'll attempt to explain the story as simply as possible:
In southeast Michigan lives a guy named, Alexis Ortiz. He's a recovering alcoholic and was released from prison last week. He has seven children and another adopted one. This is where the story gets good. He lives in Waterford, Michigan. It's located slightly across the border from Ohio, north of Toledo. He was gassing his car at a Mobil station and spotted a wallet. In it was identification, credit cards and one thousand dollars in cash. Now, if I'd have found this there's no doubt I would have immediately turned it into the police because I'm nearly perfect but for the average guy and gal, well I don't know.
Every once in awhile you have to give human kind the benefit of the doubt. I called WJBK TV in Southfield, Michigan to see if this story was on the up and up and the lady at the desk confirmed it for me. I had, previously to the phone call, found the name of an Oritz in Waterford who lives on Tubbs Road by going to whitepages.com. I've decided to send some cash to Mr. Ortiz, not The Bank of Saudia Arabia cash, but just enough to say, 'Merry Christmas' and tell him what a nice gesture he did.
So, if you've got a couple of extra bucks to help out a family, anonymously of course, give it a shot. If it doesn't work out you'll never know but you'll feel a whole lot better about yourself.

No comments: