Friday, December 23, 2011

A Day To Remember

Yes indeed, MJ received his first tip today. I was embarrassed to take the fin but the man insisted. I'd be hard pressed to give a tip if an airline misplaced my luggage. I'm sure the man came through because I dropped the suitcase on his front porch and waited until he came home to make sure it wouldn't be stolen. I think he figured I went the extra mile for him.
I'm convinced Lizzie and I are the only people in Columbus, no wait,in all of Ohio, without a dog. Nearly every home I've visited has some kind of mutt growling at me as I've knocked on the door. Can you tell by the bark if it's a man killer type dog or a Chihuahua? I can. Yesterday, a mammoth brown lab decided to get ultra friendly with me and play 'hump my leg' in front of his family. This was right after he'd gone after his master. Talk about one horny dog. They all had a big laugh at my expense. "Easy big boy", I said. "I have a very jealous wife".
I met a young man today from Denver. He flew in to spend Christmas with his parents. He was very happy to see me at his front door. The guy was in jogging pants and shoeless. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to see a guy with red nail polish on his toes and not stare? Trust me when I say it can't be done.
There are three areas of Columbus that make my hair stand on end: The Hilltop, The Bottoms and East Livingston street. If not delivering luggage I normally wouldn't enter these districts without two Uzis, four German Shepherds trained to go for the jugular and a bazooka. In two days I've entered all three areas, not once, but twice. As you already know, I've lived to tell about it. Truth be told my tip came from E. Livingston. One more myth down the tubes but I'm still won't be taking any chances in the future.
I did meet some good ol' boys down in the Appalachian foothills of southern Ohio. It's very beautiful down in that part of the world. Both fellers had a big chunk of chew packed in their cheek. By golly, they both asked me if I wanted a chew.
I passed on their offer, of course, but just barely. There's nuthin' like a big chunk of Red Man.
Mileage countdown for four days; 1,200 miles. Not bad for an old-timer.

No comments: