Friday, January 13, 2012

Uneventful Trip To Florida

What an uneventful drive it was to Destin, Florida; no traffic jams, a small amount of rain and nothing to write home about. I don't know what it is but I absolutely detest the drive from Cincinnati to Louisville, Ky. Maybe it's because I did it so often when I had a real job. A spur of the moment decision caused me to go further south to Lexington then southwest on the Bluegrass Parkway. It didn't even bother me that I increased our drive time by an hour. In Lexington, we crossed Man 'O War Blvd and glancing to my right I noticed a huge horse farm. I'd never seen Calumet Farms horse ranch before but I knew it was famous for breeding great horses; eight Kentucky Derby winners, seven who were victorious in the Preakness and two Triple Crown winners. It sets on 732 acres or thereabouts and is absolutely beautiful. That's as much as I know about horses and breeding unless I saw it in the movie, "Secretariat" or "Seabiscuit". Wait! We just saw the movie, "War Horse" so I'm more of an expert.
Yes, I splurged and forked over king sized cash to stay in a Hampton Inn. Those people will never dicker on price. It was worth it, though. I had three of the best pillows ever made; soft as cotton. One advantage of being an ex-history teacher is I recognize towns in our travels. For instance, we saw an exit for Pulaski, Tennessee. I mentioned to Lizzie that it was the place where the first KKK was started during the War Between The States. It'd be interesting if there was a sign that read: "Pulaski, Tennessee, home of Nathan B. Forrest, Founder of the Ku Klux Klan". I guess that's unlikely.
As soon as we hit the Florida-Alabama border the sun came out and my car temperature guage read sixty degrees; a tad bit warmer and brighter than in Ohio or the Upper Midwest I've heard.
Today, we awakened to 39 degrees and it's remained that way. As we looked out onto the Gulf of Mexico we could see red flags waving. This means, 'don't go in the water'. Duh!
Next up for us is to find a 'Snow Bird Club'. We did it three years ago but were the youngest by twenty years. I don't think we'll be so selective in 2012.

No comments: