Wednesday, December 28, 2016

A Penny For Your Thoughts

Think about the penny for a moment. Just for yucks whose face is on the penny? Pennies are insignificant for me. If I see one on the ground I won't even bend over to pick it up. A nickel? That's worth the effort.

"Give a penny, take a penny'. Almost every place of business has a container letting one take a penny(or two) to complete their order. In the Columbus, Ohio area we have a business called United Dairy Farmers. They're like 7-11's but we don't have those anymore. Anyway, UDF has change containers with nickels and dimes to take.

The only business establishments I can think of who don't have the change cups are major grocery stores. This can be irritating because invariably, when using cash, I'll come up a penny short on my bill. Then I'm running around with .99 cents change.

More often than not if my change for a product purchased leaves me with one or two cents I'll leave it on the counter then come back with a witticism like, "Give it to some poor person". This will usually get a chuckle from the counter attendant. The problem with doing the 'leave the change on the counter' gig is at my next stop to purchase an item I'm come up one or two cents short.

One more item about pennies and I heard this on Fox News so it has to be true: It now costs 1.5 cents to make a one cent penny. This makes Canadians more intelligent than us. They eliminated the coin years ago.

No comments: