Friday, January 5, 2018

My First Car: A 1968 Pontiac GTO

1968 Pontiac GTO - Pictures - CarGurus

I saw this photo today and it broke by heart. The only difference between my first car and this one was mine had a light green vinyl top. It had a 4 speed on the floor with 380 horse power.

It was in my possession from August of '68 to November of '69. My future bride wasn't able to handle the force. I literally cried when I had to let it go.

Add to this is was great for picking up dates. In this regard I had only one bad experience.. My buddy, Craig, was attending Iowa State. I was teaching in North Central Iowa. He secured a date for me for Saturday night.. As I recall her name was Carol Ann Steinhauer.

I drove to her sorority house and she met me at the door. We then proceeded to get in the Goat. I started the engine and let it idle for ten seconds. It was then that the young lady said, "This car makes too much noise". In a very calm voice I offered this bit of wisdom. "I can easily solve the problem. Get your ass out" And she did. It was the shortest date in the history of mankind or, at least, Iowa State University.

1 comment:

CAB said...

What a machine ! I thought it was green with a tan top ? Good story .. Carol Ann .. Remember her ...