Friday, February 14, 2020

Charlie Got Me A Valentine

The Queen and I aren't big on Valentine's Day. Oh, over the years I've purchased her a gift and especially a card. Young people, especially guys, are required to do such things.

Valentine's Day gifts for high school girlfriends are mandatory. I remember, it must have been around 1984, I was teaching American History at Alleman High School in Rock Island and we got on the subject of the event that began back in the 400's A.D. One of my students, Sue Quade, a rather attractive young lady and I were talking about the big day while the rest of the class listened intently.

Sue said out loud that if you have a boyfriend it's expected he get you a gift; the bigger the gift the more action he gets. Of course, we all laughed but I think that's true regardless of age.

Anyway, last night Charlie was lying at the foot of our bed at around 10 pm when all of a sudden he bolted. I didn't know where to so I continued to lie there. After about ten minutes I got up and went downstairs and began calling his name; no answer. I searched every nook and cranny in the house then went upstairs and did the same. I've learned that Charlie leaves the bed for two reasons: he goes to his night cage or he goes downstairs sniffing around the kitchen or dining room floors looking for food.

I came back upstairs and looked in the Queens bedroom but no Charlie so again I went downstairs and called his name. Shortly thereafter here he comes from upstairs. He hit the bottom step crawling on all fours with his head down. Stupid me! I should have known something was up but it took Her Majesty to clue me in this morning. She said, "Look around for BM". I did but couldn't find any. Then I took the lad for a walk on this morning in 8 degree temperatures. I know he doesn't like rain or cold or snow so I figured it'd be a five minute walk. Thirty minutes later I returned home with his 'Mutt Mitt' empty.

As soon as I walked in the house I went upstairs to make the bed and there it was, my personal Valentine gift. What a joy! I won't tell you much more because you already know the outcome. I will say it was brown. At least he had the common courtesy to leave it in a hardened state.

The mushy ones make me sick.


No comments: