Wednesday, February 12, 2020

How Much Prison Time For A Lie

I don't know very much about Roger Stone. He's been a Republican operative for many years. He's a Trump supporter. I also know he is very flamboyant. That's about it.

Oh, I know when he was arrested for lying before congress there were close to thirty FBI agents with guns drawn as he was standing at his front door at 6 am. The truly amazing part of this story is that CNN cameras had been standing on the front law waiting for law enforcement to arrive.

Stone's crime seems sort of silly, or at least the outcome does. He was sentenced to seven to nine years in prison for his crime of lying-------------to congress. By contrast John Brennan and James Clapper have been caught numerous times lying to congress and it's on video yet they walk the streets free. It pays to be in the Obama administration with the FBI and DOJ in your pocket.

Let's say it's the first day of the NCAA Basketball Tournament. The games start at noon and run into the night. Pay close attention because I'm the star of this scenario. When I was a salesman one of my very good customers was Durco Pump in Dayton, Ohio. On the first day of the basketball tourney I'd snag ten of their engineers and head out to a sports bar. I'd buy food and drink, mostly beer, all the day and into the night.

Of course, I didn't want to drive the hour and a half home so I'd get a motel. The next day, after I got to our house,  The Queen would ask what I did the day before. "Oh", I'd say, "not much, I hung out with the guys from Durco". Now, if she actually knew what I did she's raise the roof so I'd lie. And lying to Her Majesty carries a lot more weight than doing so to a bunch of yokels. If I did this before our congress, who never lies, she'd be able to sentence me to seven years in the clink.

Think more of this subject. Roger Stone received a lot of time. Except, people who rob banks, murder, commit manslaughter, arson, etc. receive much less.

The wheels of justice are confusing.

No comments: