Monday, March 30, 2009

Argyle Socks

Those of you who read this column know of my interest in searching out interesting obituaries. I'm a history buff and every so often I find an individuals life story quite interesting. Obits tell us about a person's life; their contributions to society. I read one this morning that made me laugh, sort of. Then I felt badly, sort of. There wasn't a whole lot about his life. The obit, itself, was not lengthy. In essence, it read this way: "he will be remembered for his love of argyle socks" C'mon! Is that all? I like argyle socks. I read this article then went to my dresser drawer. I own five pair of white footies, two pair of all-black socks and twenty pair of argyles. Please Lord, let me be remembered for anything other than my socks. I will think about my argies all day and wonder: What if, after I'm gone, someone says to Oscar, "what do you remember most about your Grandpa"? If there isn't anything about fishing, going to ballgames, playing with his cars, giving him more toys than you'd find at Toys R US, I'd be upset. If he says, Man, did he ever love his argyle socks I'm going to have him taken out of the will.

No comments: