Sunday, March 15, 2009

The 'F' Word

The following report comes from an excellent White House correspondent, Jake Tapper, at ABC News regarding poor ol' Joe Biden. Just seems he can't go a day without stepping in it.

"At an event at Union Station today where Vice President Joe Biden was heralding the $1.3 billion in investments in rebuilding train stations and passenger rails, a microphone picked up one of the former senator's myriad Senate colleagues addressing him, formally, as "Mr. Vice President."
That met with Vice President Biden's standard reply.
"Gimme a f*&$#ing break," he said, apparently unaware that the microphone was on."

Now, don't think just because I attend Mass on a weekly basis and, sometimes more than that, I have the holier than thou approach to the English language. I know the F word quite well. I grew up in the home of a railroad worker. My dad could string together words that flowed like poetry from the mouth of any rapper. By the age of seven I had heard the F word more often than most kids do in a lifetime. Truth be told, I use the F word and I say it quite a bit. Here's when I don't: I do not say it in the presence of my wife, my children or my grand children. I don't say the F word when with females or couple friends and, unless they've said it first, any male who I think I might offend. In other words, I set F word limits.
I do use the F word when I'm by myself and/or do something I consider quite stupid. If I happen to hit any finger with a hammer that's an automatic. Sometimes, if I take a fall or writhe in agony after spraining an ankle that scenario absolutely cries out for the utterance. I use it if I'm solo in my car and get irritated with another driver. I also use the F word a lot on the golf course. The F word, with emphasis, was spoken for the very first time in the late 1500's immediately after the very first golf swing. Bet you didn't know that.
"Mr. Vice-President, my advice to you is that you learn when to turn it on and turn it off". Pretend you're in the presence of the Pope. That'll help a bunch , you dumb f*#%er".

No comments: