Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Grass Drill

Laurence Paar was my high school football coach. Actually, he was an assistant coach but tutored the offensive linemen. He was old school; one tough guy to please. We were afraid of him. In the old days coaches could get away with a lot. If we upset him he told us to, "get me some grass". That meant we had to crawl one hundred yards on all fours to the weed patch. We then stuffed in a mouthful, all foured it back to him, then spit it out at his feet. It was humilitating. On a hot, humid August day after completing the grass drill three times our bodies did things they weren't supposed to do; like shutting down.
To this very day when we football players get together and someone says, "get me some grass", we cringe in fear and have a dry heave reflex. Another thing Mr. Paar told us when we messed up was, "excuses only satisfy the ones who give them". It's simple and direct. I can apply this last quote to what's going on in Washington DC today. I hear on a daily basis from Robert Gibbs, Senator Chuck Schumer, Barack Obama, Harry Reid and virtually every other Democrat who gets daily talking points from the DNC; the constant referencing to the economic policy they've "inherited". Force yourself to listen to any and all of these birds and try to go a paragraph without hearing the word: "inherit" so as to place the blame on the Bush administration. It's sickening and it's phony.
I wish, for just one day, Coach Paar was a US Senator. I would want him in front of the TV cameras saying: "excuses only satisfy the ones who give them". Then I'd ask him to have these self-centered egotists do the grass drill. I'm sick of excuses from these people. It's all politics all the time and it has to stop.

No comments: