Friday, March 6, 2009

Barry's Gray Hairs

Don't tell anyone but I traded three e-mails with Helene Cooper, a correspondent with the New York Times. Yep, it's true and it all came about from an article she wrote a couple of days ago about Obama's flecks of gray hair. Her contention is that he has worked so diligently and under such great stress in his first forty some days that it is beginning to show. Now, since I got my first gray when I was twenty-four, this sounded somewhat, well, sort of dumb, so I felt obligated to send Ms. Cooper a note. She is no slouch, by the way, has won a number of literary awards, written a book and is an emigre' from Liberia who has covered a couple of civil wars. The lady liked the content of what I had written. She sent me a note from my original e-mail saying my letter was the most intelligent she had received. My curiosity was piqued. Most of her respondees thought the article was beneath her dignity or a ridiculous, silly topic. I did, too, but I didn't want to tell her so and, hoping to get a return from her, kept my criticisms of Mr. President at zero. I got right to the point. I told her she was more than naive. If Al Gore hired Naomi Wolfe at 15K a month to tell him how to be an Alpha Male and what color shirts to wear; if John Kerry needed to fill his face with botox and; if Joe Biden has to have more facial surgery than Nancy Pelosi why wouldn't Barry spend $5.95 to buy a box of Grecian Formula. It's all about appearance and men can be just as vain as women. Before the election Barack needs to look good. After the election Barry has to have the academic thing going for him. Am I brilliant or what? And I even received a message from someone who works at the Old Grey Lady. But don't tell anyone.

No comments: