Monday, March 9, 2009

My New Best Friends

There's a building down the street from my place that I thought was a retirement home. I made a visit two weeks ago hoping I could be a companion to some of the elderly; visit with those who had no family, watch games on TV. It was selfish on my part. I was getting tired of being in the house after a long winter and, if you know me, am always looking for ways to burn off time in purgatory. Well, I got more than I bargained for but I'm not complaining. This facility is a nursing home and then some. I had my fourth visit today and it's been an eye opening funfest. The home has two sections: one for Alzheimer's patients and the other for those with dementia. The latter is my group. The women outnumber the men forty-two to eight. That's understandable if you know aging statistics. Today, I got out a golf putting green and cup. Four people, two men and two women participated. We did it for over an hour and they enjoyed themselves immensely. I wish I'd had a camera. One of the gentleman, Larry, had perfect form, grip and putting stroke. Sue is a former golfer and was phenomenal. I could tell she had played the game. She chuckled when I said she reminded me of Babe Didrikson Zaharias. She's in her late eighties or early nineties. She told me about her course in Massachusetts and the many days she spent on the links. It was called Braeburn Golf Club. She's a wonderful, elegant lady. After we finished I walked her back to her room. She told me how much fun she had and hoped we could putt again. I asked her to put her arm in mine as we walked. I told her it was just like going to the Senior Prom. She laughed. In her room I looked at pictures of her family members; husband, parents, children and grandchildren. She got confused; told me she didn't have grandchildren then said she did. I saw a photo of her entire family when she was six years old. She said her mother had a twin sister.
I'm going back on Wednesday, two days from now. I'll see Sue, again. I'll see Larry and Bob, my other putting buddies. Sadly, they won't remember me or the fun we had today. The only way I can describe this is to call it "Ground Hog Day" the movie. I'm learning about life. It's a bittersweet thing. I do get to give a lot of hugs and receive the same in kind. If you don't mind I'll keep writing about my new best friends.

No comments: