Friday, March 13, 2009

My Friend's Mom

Today is one of reflection. I received a message from a long time friend, Steve, inquiring about changes in my e-mail. Steve and I go back to 1951 so it's safe to say we have a history. He's a very interesting man who worked for IBM; lived around the world and has more stories to tell than Samuel Clemens. We're both good at self-deprecating humor. It's fun when we can laugh at each others foibles. Anyway, have you ever thought about one person then your thoughts gravitate to another? I did it this morning. I started thinking about Steve then moved quickly to his mother. Her name was Josephine. She always said I was like her third son. She died a few years ago. I think it was three and she might have been 92 years young. Time goes by so quickly anymore.
Please recall I grew up in a railroad town of twelve thousand and hardly the fashion center of the world. Walk down Story Street and you'll see plenty of plaid shirts, work boots, bib overalls and John Deere caps. The men, however, don't dress as well.
Josephine managed the nicest women's dress shop in Boone, Iowa. She was the most elegant woman I've known. Look up all the definitions for 'elegant' and you get a handle on what I mean: grand, beautiful, rare, nice, handsome. Some of you may call me crazy and say,"what about Jackie O"? Others would call out Princess Di. Uh-uh! They were required to bring attention to themselves. All Mrs. J wanted to do was be a good christian lady, a devoted wife and a good mother to two sons. She did it better than most and with such ease and dignity. Josephine was a tall lady with an emphasis on the word 'lady'. She wore stylish clothes and the right amount of make-up. I can never remember her saying one negative about anyone.(Not even a Democrat) She never raised her voice in disgust in all the years I knew her. Lord knows Steve and I gave her enough reason. She made us all welcome in her home and, just for me, she always kept the candy dish full. Please don't mention this to anyone but I'm a romantic at heart. When Steve's mom passed away, he and his brother packed up that very same candy dish and mailed it to me. It's now full of good stuff for my grandchildren. Every time I look at it I get those warm memories of days gone bye. It helps make 127 Cedar Street come to life again.
So, for my readers, especially the young ones, think back to an elder; one who is either alive or now in God's hands. Think back to someone who made you feel important and loved. Find your Josephine.

No comments: