Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Why Trump Still Can't Win

I was in Olathe, Kansas last week staying in the home of my almost life long friend. In the course of conversation the name of Trump came up. We're both of the same political bent, anyone but Hillary(Sanders doesn't count-even today we wouldn't elect a hardcore communist).

A much as I detest Trump for being an obnoxious demagogue I'd still pull the lever for him against the pantsuit queen but our conversation went further than that.

I penned a blog sometime ago on why Trump can't win the presidency nor the nomination. My buddy scoffed at me about my Trump assumption and we proceeded to make a bet on the outcome. I set the wager at a hundred dollars. Evidently, I've invested more wisely than he. He wanted a sawbuck on the bet. I agreed.

I don't care about the money. It's the pride involved in my winning and putting one over on him.

Let's take for example the upcoming South Carolina primary. Consider Trump has made some extremely irresponsible comments, "Cruz is a liar", "Saddam Hussein fought terrorism" yet he's still in the lead. If Trump wins 35% of the vote, Cruz receives 19% and Cruz 16% the race is essentially a tie. As more Republicans drop out there is no way in hell any of the other candidates will throw their support to Trump nor will their supporters. If you can come up with one tell me who and why.

The ideal situation would be for the Republicans to get down to one or two candidates----and then one by June. By then Trump has two choices: (1) call himself the Big L word(loser) or (2) start a 3rd party candidacy(I would not be surprised in the least).

If Trump does run 3rd Party then he proves to be what many of us think he is--a Democrat who wishes to see Hillary in office.



No comments: