Saturday, February 13, 2016

Lent: The Good And The Bad Of It All

Is it a sin to use religion and religious practices for the wrong reason? I hope not because if it is I'm going to Hell.

Lent began last week. It's that time of year when Christians prepare for Christ's crucifixion and rising from the dead. It is, for we practicing folks, the most important time of the year.

A lot of Christians think Christmas is the be all end all in the Church. First, to illustrate, we don't shower our children with toys. Maybe that's why so many Catholics drop out of the church. Kids look forward to Legos at Christmas but at Easter all they get is a crummy chocolate bunny. See what I mean.

Anyway, I've decided to 'give up' things for Lent but I have a selfish motive. My wife, The Queen, has given up her nightly glass of wine. That's huge for her. Wine and the nightly news are staples in her life. I'd much rather she had given up the Nightly News because she watches NBC.

I decided, selfishly, to give up sugar. Sugar is monstrous in my life. Along with that I will not eat any flour products. Do you now see where this is going"

Two years ago in March I finally recognized I was getting hefty. In other words, I was an a certifiable lard ass. Therefore, I gave up those two items I've promised myself I'd do away with this Lent. From March 1 of '14 until the end of May I dropped 30 lbs. and it all slid off of me from the waist to the neck.

So, here's my problem and it all has to do with my Catholic conscience(darned BVM nuns from grade school). Am I doing this sacrificial penance for God or for my own self-aggrandizement? I'm sure He knows. I do hope it doesn't bother Him at all.

The way I figure is if I do lose the weight I'll be healthier. If I'm healthy I'll live longer. If I live longer I'll be able to put more money in the church coffers.

Problem solved!

No comments: