Thursday, August 9, 2018

"Drop Your Weapon"

If you make the mistake of watching the nightly news on any of the so-called major networks seemingly ever night there's a segment with a police officer shooting a Black man. NBC with Lester Holt is a notorious culprit. The scenario goes this way. A distraught mother is caught on camera screaming and crying for her baby who is lying dead in the street. The cameras wait for a member of the NAAACP to show their mugs denouncing police brutality. Finally, a crowd of protesters in the background are doing their thing.

It strikes me odd that two Westerville, Ohio policemen were gunned down last winter and nary a peep was on the television.

Her Majesty and I were watching Holt last night. For some reason she enjoys watching this pap. I don't know why. They had a story about a black man in Nashville who was running away from the police. He was shot dead and here we go with the script I presented at the start of my blog piece.

The Queen commented on the story but I was thinking the same. Let's say I was stopped by the police and he began questioning me. Would I run away? Would I talk smack to him? If I had a weapon would I brandish it. Let's say the weapon is unholstered and I'm waving it in the air. If the police told me to get on the ground, or drop the weapon and I wanted to be breathing in an hour I think that would be in my best interests don't you?

I wouldn't want my mother on TV exclaiming, "He was such a good boy" even though I sold drugs, robbed liquor stores and fathered ten kids out of wedlock.

By the way, at the very end of Holt's segment a reporter mentioned the culprit threw his gun in some bushes as he was running off.

No comments: