Sunday, November 23, 2008

Dr. Curt-Humility Redux

My wife and I recently had the opportunity to have dinner out with our dear friends, Dr. Curt and his beautiful and lovely wife, Amy. Curt has been a friend for nine years; first met him, where else, on the golf course.
In a very recent posting I wrote about humility and what it takes to achieve it. As a reminder, I had written that I felt self-confidence was the home base of humility. It's when a person is comfortable in their own skin.
I always know what's going to happen when we get together with the good doctor. He never alters his game plan. He grabs the check.
Those who have seen me belly up to the kitchen table know I can down a large meal in five minutes. I can eat an entire Longhorn steer in five minutes, hooves included. With Curt and Amy we sat, ate, talked and laughed for three hours and fifteen minutes. This is always a good sign. It means we're having an enjoyable evening. At the conclusion of our meal and when it was time to leave, The Man, predictably, picked up the check. I asked for a dutch" bill but he wouldn't allow it. It wasn't as though we were at Taco Bell or Arby's, either. It'd take the price of a down payment on a Cadillac Escalade to pay for this feast, tip not included. This wasn't humility on Curt's part but it surely was generosity. When we got to the front door and Curt needed to pay a one dollar bill to retrieve his wife's coat from the coat check lady he asked me if he could 'borrow' a dollar; seems his wallet was empty of cash. Let me remind you; the Pope doesn't have enough money to cover our dinner bill and this guy's asking to borrow a dollar. It gets better still. Both of our vehicles were in valet parking so I needed to give a tip for both cars. I'm virtually clueless about valet tips so I handed the kid eight bucks. What was Dr. Curt's response to my tip? "Mike, You an extremely generous man."
That statement, ladies and gentlemen, is humility.

No comments: