Monday, November 17, 2008

Workings Of A Busy Mind

My body is in need of many workouts so I found myself on the treadmill at the local rec center this morning. With no television to distract I was forced to do my thing while looking out the window at trees and grass. It's amazing what goes through the mind when your subconscious takes over. I had thoughts on a variety of subjects in no particular sequence. My brain was a buzz of activity. It has to be this way for everyone. Here are some observations I made:
*I have five very best friends in the world. I'd be safe in wagering they're more my best friends than I am theirs but here's the gist; They make me feel a whole lot better about myself after I've left them that when we first got together. What a wonderful quality they have.
*My friend, Steve Hinkley, should be a stand up comic. He is that funny.
I don't mind being his personal pin cushion, either.
* Vermont and Minnesota are communist states. New York and California aren't since they think they're mainstream.
*I love being a native Iowan. If you haven't spent time there you should.
*Why is it when the Iowa Hawkeyes are on TV the networks show a picture of corn, cows and a barn? I lived there from birth to age 42 and except for having a farm girl girlfriend for a brief time in high school, never got close to the farm.
*Government bailouts are hand outs, not hand ups. I predict if the bailout of $25 billion goes to the auto industry earmarks will jump it to $100 billion.
*I wonder how many congressional democrats send their kids to DC public schools.
*My children have never done anything to disappoint their mother or myself.
*I am a very fortunate man.
*The most important quality a person can have is humility. It's a trait that bothers me because I have to constantly think about putting others ahead of myself. I don't know for certain but I think it's something that has to be instilled as a young person. It's that ability to suppress an ego and stay out of the limelight. These people have the power to be comfortable in their own skin. Self-confidence is the home base of humility.
*If you are going to be hired by a company check out the humility of your superior. If he's humble, take the job.
*We have a swan in the pond behind our new condo. I think that's nice.
*While doing some weightlifting I noticed I was in a room with blue haired ladies and quite a few bald men sporting hearing aids. This might make me OLD.
*How did I get so old so fast?
*Is it okay to look at pretty woman and hot babes when you're in your 80"s? I hope so.
*I have met some very interesting people in my life; celebrities and regular Joe's
*Golf is the best game invented. What I wouldn't give to be really good at the game. As I've gotten older I realize it's not the course you play but the people you play with.
*The two most interesting God made things I've seen are The Grand Canyon and The Redwood National Forest. Until I visited St. Peter's Basilica I thought The Palace of Versailles was the most impressive man made structure I'd seen. The very best and most scenic golf course I have played is Old Head at Kinsale on a peninsula in southwest Ireland.
*In my last job that lasted twenty years and from which I retired I can say the following: there isn't one bad thing I can say about my boss, every employee and the company in general. I wonder how many can say that.
That's it for my rec center brain scan for today. I can hardly wait for tomorrow.

No comments: