Saturday, November 8, 2008

THIS IS AMAZING: I CAN UNDERSTAND SWAHILI!

What a revelation! I have been in contact with a relative from the Homeland; i.e. Germany. The big problem was that he would send me a message and since I haven't used my German since 1969 I would pour over his note trying to make out the meaning of every dich, der and das. My cousin, Paul Loehrer,(pronounced "lair") who lives in Wisconsin(Wisconsin, if you didn't know, is a suburb of Germany), is responsible for doing the legwork on this new found relative and wrote to me that there is a web site that allows me to translate my written letter from English to German. It works! Not only that, the writer can have his letter translated into any number of languages in a matter of seconds. The web site is: http://www.translate.google.com/. The process also works in reverse. My German relative can send the letter in his language then I click on the English box and it automatically becomes English. Yes, I know, many of you will say, "Loehrer, what a maroon. I knew this years ago". Well, I didn't but I do now. I still have to learn how to edit and paste but that's why I have a wife, children and grandchildren.

No comments: