Saturday, November 29, 2008

Worst Economy Since?

Yep, I'd say that the American people have been bombarded with comments from news people and politicians since early October that this is the worst economy since dinosauers roamed the earth.
It's going to take some in-depth research on my part to come up with the number of businesses that have failed since we were all informed about this "October Surprise" which happened to take place just prior to the-----election. I try to take notice of how bad or good things are by being observant. I try to see what people are or are not purchasing. Where they are or are not going, other than church. This Black Friday thing is quite interesting. Maybe I've been in a coma but is "Black Friday" a relatively new term? Yes, I know that the day after Thanksgiving has always been the number one shopping day for businesses. But, in your earlier life, did you ever read any articles or see videos of shoppers lining up at 4 am to get all the bargains that just couldn't wait until 9 am? Geesh, I'm talking a lot of shoppers in this supposed really bad economy. There was even a Wal-Mart guy in New York, trampled to death, when he was crushed by Black Friday shoppers who forced down the doors at four in the morning. Truth be told, consumer sales on this years Black Friday exceeded those in 2007 by 3% and that's a fact.
As I write, it's a Saturday afternoon. While watching TV I have flipped back and forth through four college football games, one college basketball game and one high school state championship football game. College football stadiums on a big time level seat around 70,000 to 80,000 plus. If you happen to be Tennessee, Michigan or Ohio State over 100,000 can get crammed into those butt restricted seats. This is only an educated guess but I have to think that a ticket at most big time college games goes for around $50. Since I live in the heart of Ohio State Buckeyeland their end tics can bring $80 or higher.
I watched a few minutes of the the Ohio State vs. Samford basketball game. Ticket prices range from $20 and up. I ask you: in this time of the world's worst economy, would you go see Samford play basketball? If you were a trillionaire, would you go see Samford play basketball? I've got a better question? Where the heck is Samford? And people still go watch them play. See, times aren't all that bad.
Seems to me if fans can shell out $100 for ducats, gas, food and beverage to a football game we need to reasses this poor economy thing. I didn't factor in the high school game. Parents have to go to those things. It's in their kiddie contract.
The point to be made regarding all of these games is, there wasn't an empty seat in the house at any event I watched today and that includes Samford. One would be hard pressed to attend a professional football, basketball, hockey and major college football game and not find a sellout crowd.
Restaurants are another indicator. They're packed. You don't suppose we're headed for a class warfare civil war do you among eaters; KFC takes on Morton's Steak House in a rump kicking contest. If so, I'm putting my money on the KFC guys. I actually don't know if fast food is suffering but I do know that the big-time, richie richie steak joints have full parking lots.
I've heard a lot about car dealerships closing. Maybe this is a good thing; sort of like culling a herd of deer. Of course, we know the big auto/union bailout is going to be determining the impact of this and real soon.
Maybe some of my readers can come up with other illustrations for this supposed horrid economy. I'd hate to think we can all be talked into a bad economy but I bet we can.

No comments: