Sunday, November 16, 2008

Why Computers Crash

This won't come as a big surprise to anyone who knows me but when it comes to the inner workings of a computer my IQ is comparable to a lichen. I turn 'em on and shut 'em off. That's my expertise. I'm not computer savvy, okay! I've been a computer user for ten years. The first eight was company forced. The last two has been because it's become an addiction. I'm not especially proud of this but I can remember days when I've been lying on the couch watching TV, with a computer on my lap, and eleven hours later it's bedtime.
Three days ago my computer caught one of these things called a virus. It was anti-virus 2009. From what I understand it's the real bad one. I took my computer to a fixit store and was told it would cost $200.00. Ouch! Being sort of a cheapskate I called Dell and they put me in touch with Microsoft based out of the Phillipines. Voila! Three hours later the computer is cleaned and up and running at no charge! Being computer stupid does have it's privileges. While talking with my Filipino friend I convinced him I was really, really stupid; more stupid than stupid could be. I actually overdid my computer ignorance in this area but what eventually happens is that my expert friend asks if I can just turn over the computer to him. "No problem", say I. From then on I retire to the TV room with the phone next to my ear while he does all the work. Every so often he'll ask a question and I respond with, "Uh-huh". When he's done I say, "thank you" and I'm back to being my normal ignorant self.
Care to guess the number 2 cause for a computer virus. It's YouTube. That's how I picked it up. Long story short: I was reading about a New England Patriot's cheerleader who was kicked off the squad because she had racial and pro-nazi slogans on her Facebook page. I have two comments on this: (1) what in the world was she thinking? (2) Since she's a big-time cheerleader I figure she had to be pretty good looking so I wanted to check her out. As soon as I clicked on the video the computer crashed. Now you know what not to do.
Another question: Can you guess what web site(s) are the number one carriers of viruses? Easy one, wasn't it?

No comments: