Saturday, April 30, 2011

Saturday At Church

I get some of my best material at week-end Mass, more so on Saturday than Sunday. It's probably because people are in a more casual mode.
Prior to it's beginning we have a person make announcements. We had the usual one about not leaving the service before the priest leaves the alter. I've done this before, a couple of times maybe, but always have feelings of guilt. I sort of tuck my head in my shoulder so no one will notice me. Really, though, why should I care? I don't know a soul in our congregation. There's only one person who knows me and He's the big boss. Maybe that's it. Leaving church early is rude. No other way to say it.
One other announcement caught my attention. Please do not chew gum in church! Does this actually have to be said. Yep! It does. I saw a 'dad' at Easter Sunday Mass chewing gum. This sounds strange to me; chewing gum in church. You might as well have a cuspidor at your feet. Maybe this came from poor home training or they probably didn't attend Catholic schools. Trust me, the nuns would have taken care of this problem and early on.
I taught school with a priest in the early 70's. You know what he would have said? "Hey dumb ass, spit out your gum". I know he would have said it since he did. After all, it's only good manners. That's it for today and it was a beautiful one: no rain, warm temps and lots and lots of sunshine. Did I die or is this a dream?

No comments: