Sunday, April 17, 2011

My Happy Place


Old Head at Kinsale isn't any golf course. For me it's the most beautiful course in the world. If you don't golf you may not understand what I'm about to write. A golf course is more than 18 holes. It is the lay of the land. It is the contour of each putting green. It is the people with whom one plays that makes memories. At Old Head I had a caddy, a grizzled old veteran, who was invaluable in making for an enjoyable round on this course in southwest Ireland. There were no carts. We walked. We planned each and every shot. We looked ahead at the views as we did behind us as we finished each hole. My most common refrain was, " Can you believe this scenery"? I played well at Old Head but even if I hadn't I will treasure that day as much as any in my life. It is "My Happy Place".

No comments: