Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easter Sunday

Yes, it is Easter Sunday and I'm happy for that. My second grade teacher, Sr. Mary Calasanctus, told us that Easter was more important in church history than Christmas and she was correct. Jesus could have come to earth in any form but he needed to die for our sins for us to be saved. At any rate, I watch a lot of TV around Easter time. The History Channel, especially, runs interesting programming about the times of Christ. I wonder had I been alive then if I would have rejoiced at His presence. One thing I'm not at this time is practicing the giving up of something during Lent. For me it's the same as a New Year's Resolution. I know I'm going to set myself up for a fall so why bother. In the Catholic Church folks over 60 are exempt from following the dietary laws. Not me, though. I mean, how tough is it to give up a Wendy's on Friday?
The Ten Commandment's was on television last night. There are certain things in life one can count on as TV traditions; The Wizard of Oz, A Wonderful Life and The Ten Commandments. I first saw the movie in 1956. Our entire school from Sacred Heart was invited by Mr. Fangman to go to the Rialto to watch. That was a pretty big deal for a 4th grader. Wow! We got the afternoon off from school! Mark Collison and I popped a grocery bag full of corn and, believe it or not, the nuns let us take it in with us.
For the period it was a darned good movie. Who can ever forget when Moses receives the Commandments from God, Himself? Now, I'm not one to one upsmanship God but if I were Him I might have presented the ten no-no's in a different way. "THOU SHALT NOT COMMIT ADULTERY"! There's no leeway, is there? Man, being who he is, doesn't like to told what to do. Often times he'll do the opposite on purpose. Don't believe me? Well, then go ask Eve if she had a chance would she do things over a different way. I don't care for it when Lizzie tells me to rake the leaves, especially when I have something more important to do like napping. The only difference is, I say the magic, "yes dear" words.
What if God would have said to Moses: "Moses, it would be better if people didn't mess around with another person's spouse". The same for that 'don't kill thing'. It could come out, "Killing another person might not be that nice of a thing to do. Maybe your clan should think it over".
Just a thought from me, mind you.
Regardless, Easter comes at the right time of year; flowers, warmer weather, re-birth of animals and plants. It's a great day to be alive.

No comments: