Tuesday, April 19, 2011

New York Legislature Bans Kid Games

In their almighty wisdom the New York state legislature has banned age old kid games from state controlled camps. Whiffle ball----gone, too dangerous. The same goes for freeze tag and horse back riding and kickball.

This bit of wisdom took me back to my Iowa kid days. I should be dead. If not that then permanently maimed. I forget the name of the game but two guys stood facing each other. One guy had a knife and threw it in the ground to the side of the other's foot. Whoever kept doing the splits without falling over was the winner. A better game was the opposite of this. Each guy stood with feet slightly wider than shoulder width. One fella threw the knife between the feet. Each player then brought a foot in until there was no place for them to go. I think we called this game, "Chicken". When I was seven, Jerry Johnson and myself were playing "catch the hammer". I got six stitches from that game but I still have a neato scar on my skull.
This 'sissification of kids" is most likely brought on my female legislators and Alan Alda males. But, hey, that's only one man's opinion.

No comments: