Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Why Not Boone, Iowa?


It's not often democrats and republicans from the same area can agree on a government regulation, especially from the New York area, but I have to go along with them on this one. Homeland Security is allocating increased funds for cities like Toledo, Nashville and Omaha. For what? First off, what comes to your mind when thinking of Toledo. If you happen to be from Ohio one might say, "The Glass City". For the rest of the world, "Corporal Klinger" from M.A.S.H. For Omaha, gee whiz, the College Baseball World Series and cattle are good starts. Nashville, of course, has the Grand Ole Oprey. Seriously, does anyone think bin Laden actually has these choice spots on his mind. I did include an article from the NYDaily News if interested but let's move on. If we can provide funds for these communities why not for my old home town. Now, I'm not a historian of Boone, Iowa but since my dad worked on the railroad as a brakeman I can tell you that the Kate Shelley Bridge or, as it was more commonly called, The High Bridge, located three miles west of Boone is a larger terrorist target than anything coming out of Omaha. During WWII soldiers were on 24 hour duty to make sure the Germans didn't dynamite the thing. There is a new bridge to replace the old one but, unless I'm wrong(and I could be) it is the highest and/or longest double track railroad in the US. If you want to call me on this contact the Boone Chamber of Commerce(area code 515) to get the info. As with most communities there are festivals to celebrate it's heritage and it centers around the railroad. Boone has Pufferbilly Days. I've never attended but my long time buddy who lives in Minneapolis goes every year. It's a big deal. Actually, the train pictured in the above photo makes trips across the Des Moines River Valley for tourists. If you like trains and the history of the locomotives you should go to Boone in September. Heck! I should stop being a hypocrite and go myself.
Regardless, and my Council Bluffs, Iowa friend and I discussed this, terrorist A-rabs could create all kinds of havoc by destroying the bridge. There's a heck of a lot of commerce going through Boone that connects the east and west coasts and a disruption of service would be disasterous for the economy.
"Take that, Corporal Klinger".

No comments: