Saturday, June 25, 2011

Comfort Foods I Dig

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
Comfort food is food consumed to improve emotional status, whether to relieve negative psychological affect or to increase positive feeling.[1] The term was first used, according to Webster's Dictionary, in 1977.
Comfort foods may be foods that have a nostalgic element either to an individual or a specific culture.

Since Lizzies' been at the lake for almost a month it's been up to me to cook dinner for myself. I hate cooking. It takes too long. Thank God for the microwave. I'd starve if it wasn't for Orville Redenbacher. I like to keep things simple and since I don't barbecue I look for the quickest way to curb hunger. In other words, it's the quantity not the quality. I graze.
This got me to thinking about the foods I really enjoy; things I had as a kid that made my life complete. They are my comfort foods.
I think the appreciation of comfort food depends on what part of the country you reside. People in California might say, "Oh, please, please, please, give me sushi". In New York it'd be a slice, as in pizza.
Since I grew up in Boone Iowa I always like to keep it simple. Sometimes, when I talk about the things I like best some folks get grossed out. What's the big deal, I'd say. It all goes to the same place.
I loved Campbell's Tomato Soup. It had to be Campbell's or it wasn't consumed. Add one half can of whole milk and you're almost home. When the soup has properly simmered add a package of crackers, all broken up, until it's like mush. If you think I'm finished I'm not. Read on. Take four slices of bread ladled with Skippy's Peanut Butter; crunchy style. Then make a sandwich. Mmmmm, Mmmmm, Good! There can be variables to this scrumptious concoction. If you happen to have glazed donuts, omit the crackers and break up the donuts into small pieces then stir. This beats anything the cooking shows on television can create.
There's one other gem and I think is midwest in nature. Lay four slices of processed baloney on some bread. Gus Glazer was the choice of meat in the 60's. They were based out of Ft. Dodge, Iowa and had good meats. I think they must be out of business or have been sold off. Anyway, spread the mayonnaise on the bread along with, and this is very important, big chunks of Velveeta cheese. It has to be Velveeta. This is, as the Kardashians would say, "to die for". The bread has to be white. We didn't have whole grain crap in my youth.
One more favorite from moi and it's easy. I splurge every now and them and buy Yukon potatoes. Microwave a couple of them. Then add butter, the real kind, to the potato. On top of that throw on some peas, corn, Bermuda red onions and catsup. People, it's the food of the gods.
Finally, and this is just so special: scramble four eggs, cover the bread with yellow mustard, catsup and cheese and enjoy. What a treat. It is, as they say, like dying and going to heaven.
There you have it. Good thoughts, great memories, easy to make and easier to consume.
Lizzie comes home next Monday. Know what that means? She'll be serving crappola like pot roast, sirloin, and some Italian concoction like the kind one gets in from the Amalfi Coast.

No comments: