Monday, June 13, 2011

Tattoos


One of the great mysteries in life for moi is, why would anyone want a tattoo on their body. It seems today they're like dog poop-----everywhere. For me, getting a tattoo would be the same as sex texting. It would never enter my mind. I've never thought about it. In the 1950's I never thought about a Mohawk haircut. Even when the cool kid, Brett Downey, got one I was content with a butch.
On my way home from seeing the grand kids yesterday I stopped in to one of those gas stations that is also a grocery market. A female was behind me so I held the door open for this 60 year old looking woman. Then, I couldn't help but notice she was wearing a low cut blouse with a large tattoo the size of a grapefruit showing at the top of her chest. It was flowery with different colors. Maybe you could call it a Hawaiian sun. I don't like to gawk but I did. I stared directly at the half showing boob; a moth to fire. I'm spculating it covered at least half her breast. My first thought was, "Man, that had to hurt". My second thought was, "Why"?
The first time I recall seeing a 'Too was on a member of the Armed Forces post World War II. They were cheesy looking and were on the upper arm; said something like, "Mom" or a large heart with a banner on it saying 'Linda'. This I can understand. For the rest of their lives they had a reminder of someone special and, besides, it seemed like a good idea that night when they were drunk in Tokyo.
Lots of college girls have tattoos. I think they started out on their ankles. They are smallish and leave a message: "ZZ Top Forever". That's a simple statement. Someday they'll have children and can try to explain it to them. Today's messages are larger in scope: "If you don't get out of my way I'll beat the ever lovin' crap out of you". I once saw a tatoo on a girl's arm that left left no doubt about her priorities: "I brake for beer". There's a guy out there in the world who can hardly wait to make her his wife.
Fifteen years ago I was in a supermarket in Michigan. The counter guy, a greasy looking fella, had done a tattoo on his knuckles. Rembrandt he wasn't. Starting on the small knuckle of his left hand and working to the index he wrote: W-E-N-D. I asked him about it. I don't want to unnecessarily embarrass people but in my mind I was asking, "what the hell is that"? Then he held up the index knuckle on his right hand and I saw a Y. That wasn't good planning on his part.
A lot of women have tattoos today, moreso than ever. Some ladies have them on their inner thigh. Whewie! I don't even want to go there. Breasts and thighs; that's gotta hurt. They also have them on their shoulder blade. Sort of silly, isn't it. If I'm going to have something like a tattoo I want to be able to see it.
There's a big flap going on in college sports today about athletes not having enough money to live on. Some say they should get stipends on a monthly basis. Crappola! Next winter take a look at an NCAA basketball games on a big time level. These kids are walking billboards for the tattoo industry. They are sporting a good 2K worth of body art.
Now, take a real good look at the ladies pictured on this post. They aren't ugly girls(weren't) but they're going through life looking like Mike Tyson. Mom and Dad are so proud. I'll bet their wedding pictures are going to be something, huh!
Can you imagine the conversation when they're lying in their respective caskets: "My, doesn't she look just like herself"
Tattoos: one of life's mysteries that MJ Hawkeye cannot grasp.

No comments: