Monday, June 27, 2011

Lazy Days Of Summer

Being a bachelor for a month brings out the worst in me. I have a propensity to do absolutely nothing of significance. If there is an excuse for being ultra lazy it's justifiable in my mind. All of this is about to come to an abrupt halt since Lizzie's airplane flies into Columbus at midnight this night. A caveman's dwelling is cleaner than our condo. The vacume hasn't seen a swath of carpet for twenty-eight days. The dishes are in the washer and will go into start mode this morning. Yes, I will even attempt to turn on the clothes washer and dryer. I ran out of underwear and made a trip to JC Penney.
The following is an example of what 'lazy folks' do. I'm a creature of habit. My days starts thus: make coffee, fire up the computer and in this order, read The Des Moines Register. It's a horrible web site but since I'm a product of the State I convince myself I'll see a name or event that rings a bell. It never happens. Then it's onto the Quad-City Times. We lived in eastern Iowa for fifteen years and once in awhile I'll come across an obit of a person I knew. The Quad-Cities is composed of Davenport and Bettendorf in Iowa and Rock Island, Moline and East Moline in Illinois. You'll notice it's called The Quad Cities even though there are five towns. I never did understand that. After this I'll peruse the sites of Drudge and Lucianne. Are you as excited reading this as I am writing it? I didn't think so. I also look at my hometown site in Boone, Iowa. It's really quite good for a small town, much better than the DM Register.
Yesterday was very typical for me. It was Sunday so Mass was a given. I had a wild hair in my body and decided I owed it to myself to check out some new golf clubs. Did you know I'm a salesmen's best friend? Normally, in my younger days, I'd go into a store and buy them off the shelf. Now, that I'm smarter, I get fitted. Then, being really smart I decided to not impulse buy. I'd give it some time before the purchase in the event I changed my mind. An hour later I made the buy.
After this it was noontime and I felt a nap coming on. With computer on my lap and head rested just so on a pillow I assumed the position. My next thought was, "How did it get to be 6 o'clock so quickly"?
I've gotten into the habit of taping TV shows I think will be good ones. I'll click on the guide portion of the television and check out the upcoming shows a week in advance. I'm always on the lookout for "The Closer". They're in rerun but are magically creative. The best thing about taping is the commercials can be eliminated so that an hour show is only forty minutes in length. Last night I watched my favorite superhero: Batman Begins and the follow-up to it about the Joker. Christian Bale is one of my favorite actors. In jest, I e-mailed my oldest son about why batman would wear a cape. I thought that might be a detriment to his crime fighting skills. My son is the world's most knowledgeable person regarding super heroes and he's 39 years old. He knows tidbits about them they don't even know. Anyway, he came back with a serious answer as to why. Don't think he's a geek, though. He draws super heroes for a living. That's his job.
That was my day---and night.
After all that action I was exhausted so it was bedtime. What a day in the life of MJ Hawkeye. If you've made it this far in this post I have one bit of advice for you: "Get a life"!

No comments: