Friday, June 24, 2011

Voter ID Cards: A Joke

Ohio is about to pass a law requiring voters to show proof that they are eligible to vote when they go to the polls. As is typical with this legislation common sense never seems to prevail. I'm amazed that there seemingly is always non-agreement on issues among the two parties. The Dems are against it and the Republicans are for it.
At any rate, since the governor and Ohio legislature control both parties it is going to pass, probably in the next week.
I decided to go online to research the pro's and con's of the bill. As far as I can tell there are only two reasons for the con aspect: (1) If someone lives too far away from their poll and forgot their ID they would have to go all the way back home to retrieve their card. Assuming they drove to the polls and didn't take a plane wouldn't they be required to have motor vehicle identification? If they happened to be driving with a kindly neighbor, well, tough crap. I'm always driving across town then forgetting why I went. Forgetfullness is a part of life. In addition to having to drive all the way to the polling precinct to this I respond, "I wasn't aware that polling stations for Americans in say, Boone, Iowa, were located in a places like American Samoa. I sort of thought they were within walking distance; maybe an elementary school; (2) one of our congresswomen stated it would be unfair to the poor. Why? Would their ID have a stamp on it saying, "Beware, this person is poor and doesn't deserve to be trusted". Don't the poor have to show an ID when they get their food stamps or a library card? I've never been poor poor but if I was I probably wouldn't think about being 'poor'. I'd smoke Marlboros, talk on my(government purchased)cell phone, lounge around doing whatever I wanted because I felt like it. All things are relative. Does one think the poor actually care about voting without an ID card or is this some trumped up political topic to gain sympathy from minorities? Think Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Danny Glover, Sean Penn, Jane Fonda. Think Whoopee Goldberg. Yeesh!
I think we all know this is a common sense subject. It's how John F. Kennedy received 100,000 votes from dead people in the state of Illinois in the election of 1960. It's how Al Franken garnered thousands of votes from ineligible convicted felons and won the Minnesota senator seat.
I might be naive but I don't recall a republican being found guilty of fraudulently receiving votes in any election in the last 100 years. And, no, as much as Al Gore tried, George Bush did win the state of Florida with all the tedious bogus recounts from that lard butt.
If democrats were true to their word as the party of the 'Big Tent" they would demand that the poor, Hispanics and Blacks abide by the law to prove their loyalty to the party. Then there would be no reason to gripe. But it won't happen because the Liberal Party of America doesn't have the courage to do the right thing.

No comments: