Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Gettin' Out Of Dodge

We're my faithful disappointed not to read of the trials and travails of MJ's trip north and west this morning? It was indeed a dusty trail this old cowboy traversed yesterday setting a personal record. Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and Ar-Kansas(can't write the real word) all in one day. I'd never before done that many states in a twenty-four hour period. Actually, I've driven further, a total of four states, 1,000 miles in 16 hours is my all-time high. Not very smart, huh?
Did I come across anything exciting? Not really. Ar-Kansas must be embarrassed with itself. Entering Eudora on the southeast corner this is nary a welcome sign. All I could think about the entire drive of nine hours was Web Hubbell, Vince Foster, Paula Corbin Jones, Jennifer Flowers, Hillary, Susan McDougall, Patsy Thomason and on and on and on. My attention during the trip was distracted only one time and it helps explain my disaffection for everything Razorback. In the center of the state, on Interstate 40, was one of those large green signs announcing an upcoming town: Toad Suck, Arkansas. I kid you not. As Casey Stengal always said, "You can look it up".
Before I close it's important to let y'all know how much I love the South. In addition to the southern states mentioned I can lump in Georgia, North and South Carolina and Tennessee, too. The people are syrupy nice but not phony. They're down to earth good solid christian folks who go out of their waay to be friendly and helpul.
I'd wager there are remnants of stereotypes from the antebellum period today in the North and South. As I drove along and came to different towns, Vicksburg for instance, my mind would shift back to July of 1863. While Gettysburg was taking place U.S. Grant took over the Mississippi River. I'd come across other sites of the War Between the States and think of the times. I wonder if stereotypes still remain in the North regarding southerners, especially if those northerners have never left their state. Do some Iowans still think there are "Darkies" in the fields plucking cotton and singing, "Swing Low Sweet Chariot" in North Carolina? I hope not. That'd be sinful.
Do you know what most surprised me about the South when I first saw it? Mile upon mile of beautiful pine forests at every turn gracing the scenery. I'll never forget that. That's the way it is in Mississippi. I'd go back there again.

I saw for the first time today, in Kansas, my three month old granddaughter. Naturally, she's beautiful-----great genes don'tcha know!

No comments: