Tuesday, March 15, 2011

White Onions

Time flies, leaders change, and prices go up without hardly noticing. There's a wonderful bread store in our old town of Westerville, Ohio called Harvest Bread. That's all they sell. We started buying there for special occasions only in the mid-90's. A loaf of bread, well, it wasn't actually a loaf but circular in shape and it cost $2.25 but it was worth it. The texture was sort of spongy and it came in a variety of flavors; pumpkin and pumpernickel. Wheat was very good. My mother in law gave us the dickens for spending so much on a loaf when she came to visit.
The only reason I bring up the price of bread is because Lizzie asked me pick up one onion for dinner. She was making what turned out to be an excellent southern dish with shrimp, kielbasa, rice, carrots and onions plus some other junk I don't care about. I'm not too finicky about food. Lizzie is fab when it comes to cooking and if you looked at me while I was 'nekkid' you know I never leave the table hungry.
Housewives might not be surprised at this but that one white onion cost 99 cents a pound. Does that seem outrageous? I mean, all you can do with an onion is cook it. It's not like it's an apple or an orange or even a banana. By the way, aren't bananas about 29 cents a pound? Even 39 cents would be like diamonds compared to the price of an onion.
Let's say little Johnny is coming to the dinner table. What are the chances of him asking, "Mommy, can I have an extra onion tonight? I'm really hungry". Besides, people don't begin to eat onions until they've been married for forty years and 'onion breath' doesn't mean much.
Oh, I purchased a new car today. It's a 4 cylinder Mazda minivan. In 1968 my first car was a Pontiac GTO and it set me back the grand sum of $2,600. That was a princely sum back then. the Mazda is eight times that amount but you already knew that, didn't you?
I feel badly for my grand kids. When they're my age they will have to take out a second mortgage to buy their grandchildren a malted milk.

No comments: