Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Government Shutdown? So What!

In nine days the government, once again, will be out of our money. Demo-commies will scream bloody murder about all the suffering that will take place and how unfair the dastardly Republicans are to those in need.
I recall, during the Clinton years, when we had a shut down and then Speaker Gingrich came under fire by the likes of Gepahrdt and Daschle for being so heartless. A park ranger in Colorado was interviewed and related his tale of woe. Well, everyone knew the lack of borrowing would be short in scope and the ranger would eventually receive his back pay.
My life saver in the money scenario is Lizzie. She's a wizard at handling our money. During our forty-two years of marriage we have had one hard and fast rule: "live within your means". We had a credit card right immediately after marriage.
We used it for only one reason; establish a credit rating. This borrowing money by the government seems so ridiculous to us. If a person doesn't have money they shouldn't be able to buy things. Oh, some of you will say, "weren't you in debt when you bought a home". Of course we were but we didn't buy a place for status and we lived in junk when we were younger. For a year we propped up a couch's leg with two books because we couldn't afford to buy a new one.
Thank goodness for my wife. On the first day of each month I receive an allowance. It's not a huge amount but it's more than I need. From this allowance I buy essentials(razors, toothpaste, shaving cream). It's also my fun money. If I see a candy bar or toy for one of the grandkids they'd like that comes out of my allowance. When that money is gone I'm done until the next month. This process has worked for years. It's too bad our elected representatives still feed at the trough.
Trust me when I say if Lizzie was in charge of the nation's finances we'd be in the black. I repeat, "if you don't have it you can't buy it".
Whatever happened to good ol' common sense?

No comments: