Thursday, March 17, 2011

Lizzie At The DMV

Lizzie and I have changed our voting status from Minnesota to Ohio, or I did, anyway. We thought we were going to move there permanently three years ago so we both had Minnesota drivers licenses. I changed mine to Ohio in December for purely financial reasons. Since I turned sixty-five in January I wanted the Homestead tax reduction. If any of you are becoming super, super senior citizens soon stick this nugget in your memory file. It's not a fortune but it'll buy groceries for a couple of months.
Anyway, Lizzie made the trip to the DMV today take her test and secure a license. An individuals life history is required to take the exam and garner the license. That's when it got tricky. She had three papers with her social security number printed; her Minnesota license, passport, insurance forms and our electric and water bills for the last six months. What she didn't have was an actual social security card and for this she was disqualified from taking he drivers license exam. What struck me as curious is the building was loaded with migrants from south of the border, a slew of Somalians and a variety of folks with dots on their foreheads wearing those wildly colored saris. Am I led to believe that all these people had the six thousand pieces of the required papers to be licensed?
Being a wonderful and consoling husband I wanted to put my lady at ease so I told her, "Look, if it's any consolation you can always run for President of the United States". It didn't help.

No comments: