Monday, March 21, 2011

Happiness Is

There have been a heck of a lot of good things going on in my life in the past few months. Know what? Often times they are eensy-teensy things at the time and seem quite unimportant but reclining, where else, on the couch, they pile up and come into focus.

I discovered the very best jam ever made. It's called Davidson's of Dundee and I bought a couple of jars while in Florida. Understand I'm happy with Skippy peanut butter and any old kind of jam but Davidson's is out of this world. Next December I'm going to give the delicious mouth watering delectables as gifts.

My second head basketball coaching job was from 1969-71 at St. Mary's High School in Storm Lake, Iowa. It's a lovely community of 8,000 in the northwest part of the state. Lizzie and I married while living there and our daughter was born in SL. At the time St. Mary's had 200 students. I was fortunate to have two nice ball clubs and my second was defeated by the eventual state champion in a close, hard fought game in the district finals. If those kids had had a really good coach they might have gone all the way. Regardless, St. Mary's is now a school of 65 kids and they did win this year's Iowa State Championship; their first in history It was even the first time in the 101 year old history of the school they'd even played in the tourney. I was so happy. A couple of the players were grand kids of my former students which made it oh so nice.
Okay, you'll think this is infinitesimally ridiculous but I had new grips put on my golf clubs and used them for the first time today. Guess what? It didn't make one damned bit of difference in my performance. Since I was by myself I played two golf balls and only cheated three times. That made me happy.
Finally, and this took herculean courage, I gingerly got on the bathroom scale today. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought----a little bit bad---- but not gargantuan bad.
On that happy bit of info it's time to hit the hay unless I decide to stay and watch this really hot lady cop on the TV show, Castle. Oops! There she is. I'm wide awake. Ahhh, happy again.

No comments: