Monday, September 5, 2011

A Book? Maybe

Lizzie and I awoke to lake temperatures of 37 this morning so we snuggled in blankets and drank cofffee and talked. She thinks there's a book hidden somewhere inside of me. She may bei correct. One thing I know is I'd have to do a lot of research on the subject. More than that, and I'm positive of this, I'd have to have a passion for the subject. I mean, I don't think I could write about whole life insurance or a frog. The starting point would be to compare my writing style to someone I liked. Dave Barry used to write for the Miami Herald. He's hilarious by making fun of himself. I like that. Making fun of myself is easy. I do it constantly because I'm fairly inept at doing constructive things and stick my foot in my mouth more than I'd like to think possible.
I appreciate Elmore Leonard. He's an octogenarian and wrote the book, "Fire In The Hole". It's the basis for the wonderful television show, "Justified". Leonard had one rule for writing. If you can put it on paper in ten words why use twenty?. It's the old k-i-s-s axiom, 'keep it simple stupid'.
So, where to begin. At this point in time my best bet is to start at the beginning. I'm toying with the idea of something like "See Dick run. Come Spot come". Believe me when I say I think I'm on to something big.

No comments: