Friday, December 25, 2015

'Don't Think Twice, It's Alright'

 
I sincerely want to thank my Oconomowoc  Wisconsin correspondent for sending me a column I had written earlier. The posting was inadvertently deleted.

Bob Dylan has only hit in my mind. It's a winner.

If you weren't born before the 1960's then forget about reading on. Folks in their Fifties and older are bubble gummers so they don't count.

Bob Dylan is and always will be a '60's icon- Don't ask me why. My own opinion is because if you didn't think he was the be end all then you were a goofball, a loser. He was not my style. As Dick Clark would ask on American Bandstand, is the music easy to dance to and do you like the beat?

I can give a hearty "No" to Dylan. To me he was a drugged out death person personified. I realize I was out of the mainstream but I didn't care. I was a young kid not influenced by the marijuana infested dweeb even though he grew up in, at that time, benign Minnesota.

Let me be more frank. I hated his music except for one song'

Excuse me, Dylan's best work wasn't a song. It was the lyrics he wrote for a song and that piece of music was titled,'Don't Think Twice, It's Alright'.

Specifically, this blog piece is for guys only and when I'm finished you'll understand why. Almost every healthy, breathing young man in his late teens and early twenties knew the 'love of his life'. She was his dream girl and would be forever—-except for most of us it didn't work out quite that way.

Before I found the love of my life, the one I've been married to for 46 years, I knew my true love. She would be the one I spent the rest of my life loving and enjoying the fruits of unrequited sexual pleasure.  All guys of nineteen do. For one reason or another these first loves don't quite run the course.
 
My opinion is, both of these 'first-first lovers' are kidding themselves about their futures because their life goals are totally at odds. Furthermore, because of their 19 year old passions the the last thing they want to consider are life goals. Why have future goals get in the way of passionate necking and constant body rubbing? This makes no sense.

In my case, my first relationship didn't fall apart because my Venus wasn't a b-i-itch but because we were totallv dishonest with each other about what we wanted for the future. She was a very nice and talented young lady. As a matter of fact she ended up doing background art work for Jay Leno. That's pretty heady stuff in my book and she became very wealthy.  In addition, she was drop dead gorgeous.

The way I figure is we all continue to hang onto first loves for as long as can because we're afraid to lose something we know is bad for the future but do so because of life's uncertainties. We know in the long run it's really not good for us. In essence, long term relationships become a bad habit and they're hard to shake. 

 We want to lose them but there's not a decent alternative to take their place.

This brings me to Bob Dylan and his Lyrics for 'Don't Think It's Alright'. The words literally bring home the travails of first loves and why they fall by the wayside, with his song 'Don't Think Twice It's Alright'

"Well, it ain't no use to sit and wonder why, babe
It don't mattered anyhow
And it ain't no use to sit and wonder why, babe
It don't matter anyhow
Look out your window and I'll be gone
You're the reason I'm travelin on
But don't think twice, it's alright
Well? it ain't no use in turnin' on your light babe
That light I never knowed
And it ain't no use in turnin' on your light, babe
I'm on dark side of the road
Still I wish there was somethin' you would do or say
To try and make me change my mind and stay But we never did too much talkin' anyway".

 In other words, the guy has had enough of the nonsense. He's outta there. Am I the only one who felt this way about his 'one and only'? I bet not.  My suspicion is, after reading this piece, many minds will be flooded with dating memories from the past and most of these will come from the dark side.

I have a rendition of the same song from Frankie Vallie and the Four Seasons.  In April of '15 I threw it on my car CD from the northern border Of Tennessee until I entered the State Of Georgia. Memories flooded my mind as my long ago relationship with my one and only from 1967 applied to the Dylan lyrics. It vividly conjured up thoughts of years gone bye. I listened to 2:56 seconds of this tune for a solid two hours, over and over again. Call me crazy or call me melancholy but there isn't a man out there who wouldn't agree with my thoughts. There was a good reason why I walked away. Would you like to know why? All you have to do is listen to the lyrics.
 
Better yet, Johnny Cash sang the lyrics in the only way he could which was perfect. His rendition is soothing to the ear while allowing the brain to dwell on those couple memories of yesteryear.

 I'm willing to wager, as much as I love my wife, if my first love
walked in a room those cravings would show up again and my
tongue would tie up in a knot a navy veteran couldn't untie.

And then I'd recall the misery I and a ton of other guys went through with these women .

The best part of life is I've learned to love reality.

No comments: