Wednesday, December 2, 2015

What About Christmas Cards

To date we have received three Christmas cards. The truth is we have received three cards but I really wouldn't say they have much to do with the spirit of Christmas.

Two of them showed family pictures with no message. One came from my stock broker signed by members of the office staff. This is obligatory so it almost doesn't count except I really like the guy. I'll give him a pass.

I appreciate that these people spent money on the greetings and put a stamp on the envelope but it reminded me of how I miss the olden days of sending cards, more commonly referred to as 'Before The Computer'. I've always equated sending Christmas cards and letters inseparable. It's sort of like when I was a teacher and a student would present their year book and ask that it be signed. Some teachers wrote their name---period. I always felt if a student wanted to remember me I owed them more than that so I wrote a personal note of good cheer even if I had to tell a lie.

Last year I received an email Christmas greeting in the form of a letter. It read, "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year". The only problem was the sender included all of his forwards on it. There were seventy two other names. How much trouble would it have taken to press bcc showing me being the only recipient. A mass mailing kind of takes away the thrill of being appreciated and of being a special friend.

I suppose easy access to cell phones, texts, emails and all the other pieces of technology have taken the luster away from the Christmas card. What a shame.

Another problem with sending cards at this time of year. It's nearly impossible to find them with a religious theme. If you don't know what I'm talking about try this on for size: Jesus, wise men, Bethlehem, Joseph and Mary, etc. It's easier finding a gold nugget in my back yard.

I suspect The Dollar Store has them and at a price for the common man rather than what Hallmark charges for the same greeting, a month's worth of social security pension cash.

Furthermore, my gut feeling about Christmas cards is many folks, upon thinking about sending them,
will say, "Oh crap, I wish I didn't have to do this" and that's why we don't receive so many these days.

No comments: