Saturday, December 5, 2015

How To Motivate High School Students

Once in awhile, to get away from the depressing news cycle, I'll go to a site called The Chive. It's one of those that has mindless stories, e.g. '8 dumb things people did when drunk'. I came across one titled: 10 horrible things done by teachers. Being an ex-educator I was intrigued.

There were a couple of stories detailing instructors who embarrassed students in front of others. One was about a teacher who taped a kid's mouth shut because she couldn't stop coughing.

Stories such as these make me recall my days at Sacred Heart in Boone, Iowa. I was in the 4th grade and sat in the back of the room. One day,when I got to my seat, there were a stack of books on my desk. Being nine, clueless and embarrassed to speak I didn't say a word and there the texts stayed--all day long.(What the hell. They were her books not mine)

At 3pm Sister Mary Baptiste(or maybe it was Robert Marie), a known tyrant throughout the western hemisphere, announced to the class, "I put all those books on MJ Hawkeyes desk to illustrate how dumb he is because I knew he wouldn't say anything"! This is really a bummer for a 9-year old. At that age we're not clever enough with a good comeback like, "F you, Sister" and if we did we'd go to hell for being disrespectful. It doesn't bother me at all to this day. And here I am at 70 and it seems like yesterday and if I had some dog poop I'd shove it in her haughty face. The only positive I can say is she's dead by now so I have the last laugh.

The story from The Chive I thought most interesting, and I'm surprised I didn't think of this when I was an instructor, is a classic. It sounds exactly as though it came out of my demented mind.

Said teacher, when passing back tests placed a job application from McDonalds on papers graded F. It's funny and gets to the point unless a student cares.

There is one problem. In many schools, especially in the inner city, it's possible this is what today's talent aspires so it might be their reward and the application would save them a trip downtown. Many of these kids already have their employment speech down pat--"Would you like fries with that".

 The teacher who attached McDonald's job application to failed tests

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the teacher was suspended. But I like her style. I give her an A for creativity.

No comments: