Thursday, December 17, 2015

Everybody Has Warts

As a kid growing up every now and then warts would show up on my hands or feet. I wasn't at all bothered by them for a couple of reasons. They were kind of fun to pick at while sitting in my classroom desk when Sr. Mary Louis Joseph would drone on about the difference between 'their' and 'there'. Also, most of the other kids had them, too, so I didn't have to worry about being called 'Freak Boy'.

As is always the case I outgrew them and the rest of my bodily deformities. Since they were a part of me these anomalies were taken for granted. I have a brown spot slightly north of my upper lip on the left side. I always told people it was my secret stash of caramel candy. This always secured a chuckle. On the outer side of my left pinkie finger is a protrusion; almost a mini-finger. It used to be longer than it is now but as the years have gone bye it has diminished in appearance. When I'd play in the dirt with other kids and a highway was needed I'd place that finger downward and make a dividing line. Voila! It was perfect for cars and trucks to stay on their own side of the road. In other words, I learned how to make lemonade out of lemons, to coin a phrase.

This scenario takes us to the political structure of America today. I'm not certain when the Great Divide took place in politics today. I recall the days when one would hear the name of a Democrat and not become repulsed to the point of name calling or worse. The same went for Republicans.

There was a time when we went to the polls and pulled the lever for our candidate then went out and played a round of golf with our buddy who yanked on the opposite lever and that was it. Our lives went on gracefully and as good friends. What a change in today's atmosphere.


So, here we are in another election cycle. There are a slug of Republican candidates, too many to be exact. I communicate with a wide variety of friends and acquaintances on the internet. Some are political and others aren't. I discern which forwards go to whom.

Of my political friends I've recently gotten into heated arguments about the main Republican candidates. Let's take those who will be around in a few months: Rubio, Trump, Cruz and maybe Christie or one other. I'll receive what I call 'Nit Pick' notes. A person will explain one statement made by a candidate that should disqualify he or she's candidacy. Then another will give another reason and on and on and on.

In other words, every candidates has warts. We cannot be perfect. God didn't create us to be infallible in thought, action or body.

There has to be a balance overall. Have an intelligent vision of your candidates entire package. Figure out who will do the best job for the nation, warts be damned.

I have a friend who wondered why Cruz didn't attack Trump. Why should he? Trump isn't the enemy.

 I have my pick(s) on who I would like to be the standard bearer of my party. But, I care about only one thing when it comes to the Election of 2016: I want a conservative who can defeat the lying, money grubbing Saul Alinskyite who is the anchor for the Communist Party of America.

End of story.

No comments: