Tuesday, March 15, 2016

John Kasich Is A Vanilla Candidate

It was either my mother or a nun at Sacred Heart grade school, Sister Mary Dolarene, who nurtured my love of American History. My appreciation of our country began around age ten and hasn't ceased to grow for the past sixty years.

The Ohio primary is taking place today and, yes, I did vote. But, I voted in a way I've never done before and it goes against all the rules of responsibility. I believe my first vote was cast at Boone, Iowa High School for a student council president. As is typical I selected a friend, someone I liked. The same can be said for Gene Henderson. He ran for student body president at Coe College. Gene was a nice guy, very involved in the school and I knew he was going to be a responsible citizen later on in life. He was all that. He was employed not once, but twice, by Warren Buffett.

In today's Ohio primary I voted in a way I have never done before. I selected a candidate as a vote against another one. I voted for Kasich against another whom I feel is not fit for public office.

Don't get me wrong. Kasich is not a bad candidate, in my opinion. He's been an excellent governor. He's reduced taxes. Our coffers in in the black as opposed to the $4 million dollar deficit we once owned under a democrat governor. He's added over 400,000 jobs to a state that was in the doldrums under his predecessor. His resume' is impeccable. The problem is, according to his opponents, he's supported amnesty and voted for NAFTA. The front runner in the election is holding the NAFTA vote against him saying he signed the bill. Sorry but Mr. Kasich didn't sign anything. The President does that. The frontrunner stated yesterday that Ohio is a failed state under Kasich. That is campaign rhetoric more commonly referred to as b.s.

As governor Kasich won the last election with a 62% plurality. To date he has in Ohio a 79% approval rating. That's heady stuff. Let's jump back to NAFTA, The frontrunner wants to get rid of it. Okay, what are the repercussions? Let me give you one example then contemplate how it would affect you and your family. How many folks in the country purchase their groceries at Wal-Mart? Did you know that on a weekly basis 100 million Americans shop at these stores and they purchase food for their families at costs much less that what they pay at other outlets. They buy their family food that comes from Chile, Argentina, Canada and points in between. If the front running candidate does as he wants I can guarantee the price of your family food bill will skyrocket.

John Kasich would most likely defeat Hillary but he's not going to get the nomination. He just doesn't and won't have the numbers. The problem for him is he is seen as wishy washy. We're in an election cycle the likes of which I've never witness in my seventy years. Candidates cannot be all things to all people. It's impossible.

I guess the point I'm trying to make about this election is the voters shouldn't have a knee jerk reaction to one candidate because of words they utter. The sad part of this scenario is they do.

Four months ago I wrote about all the ebbs and flows we're going to see before we have a new President. "Folks, you ain't seen nuthin' yet".

No comments: