Wednesday, March 30, 2016

What's Up With Roy Rogers

I've been in Scottsdale for a week visiting my daughter, son in law and grandchildren. As B.B. King would say, "The thrill is gone". I told my grandson I was out of money for amusement parks, restaurants and the such. Now he's back to watching Yahoo shows on an iPad.

Being bored today I turned on the television and came across old time TV shows; the Lone Ranger then Roy Rogers. These were fantastic shows for a kid like me in the Fifties. The good guys win and the bad guys lose. Isn't that the way it's supposed to be?

Except, an old guy like me watches these shows in their simplified form and begins to ask questions. Roy Rogers has a female sidekick, Dale Evans. She wears a wedding ring but no mention is made of them being married. So, are they like Mickey and Minnie; Donald and Daisy? Do they shack up or are they just friends? As a ten year old we never, ever thought of these things. We weren't suppose to because we were pure, innocent and stupid.

Roy also has a dog, Bullet, a Rin-Tin-Tin type that has more common sense than Einstein. He can take orders from Rogers and apprehend the most villainous of people in a single bound. Roy has a horse, Trigger, that has the instincts of Superman and the strength of Mr. Atlas. Trigger can rear up on his hind legs and bring down the most evil of characters in a single bound without the promise of extra oats for dinner.

Ms. Evans runs a restaurant called Eureka. It must be a diversion for helping her 'faux' husband to catch crooks. According to the television credits Miss Dale receives restaurant help from a 'comical sidekick', Pat Brady. I'd hate to have a credit that read 'comical sidekick'. It might as well have read 'dufus sidekick'. I wonder what ever happened to him. Thank God for Wiki.(look it up yourself, I'm busy).

When I was a kid I always assumed the show took place in the old Wild West of the 1880's. I guess not since Brady drives a jeep called Nellybell. What's up with that? At the time I didn't know motorized vehicles were in New Mexico. Roy rides a horse. His comical sidekick drives a jeep.

The entire show is fairly benign and that's the way it should be. Roy always solves problems and brings criminals to justice, mostly by talking sense into hardcore murdering thugs.. In today's show three bad guys shot a guy(not so benign). Roy told them to get in the back of Nellybell so Brady could drive them to jail. And they did; three murderers, no handcuffs, no ropes, no other deputies, just goofy Brady hauling them off to jail and they crumbums did it willingly.

Gosh, I loved those days.

No comments: