Tuesday, September 27, 2016

It's So Difficult Losing A Friend

I lost my buddy today. He passed away at noon on Eastern Standard Time. I knew, and so did he, that he was getting near the end of the trail. That was a month ago. The strange thing is last week, on Saturday,
 we watched college football together and he was so very vibrant with his normal rosy red cheeks and witty sense of humour. The next day was his 80th birthday so I went across the street to offer best wishes and I knew the time was close. He could hardly raise his head. That's when I knew that God was waiting for him.

I have been so blessed to be a friend of Dr. Russell Bowermaster. I first met him in 2009. We had just moved into our condo in Dublin, Ohio. I was in our front curb raking leaves and was wearing an Iowa sweatshirt. I looked up and saw a fireplug trudging across Strathmore Lane. All of a sudden he said, "Iowa, I hate goddam Iowa. Played football out there in 1957, colder than hell; got our butts beat 7-0. Hi, I'm Russ Bowermaster". I was immediately hooked by this guy.

Doc was a star high school athlete out of Hamilton, Ohio. 1st team all-state in basketball, 1st team all-state in football and earned a second place 2nd in the state high hurdles behind Olympic gold medal winner, Glenn Davis. He went on to star with the Buckeyes playing on their 1958 National Championship football team. He was drafted by the Cleveland Browns but opted for dental school. The Browns offered him a contract of $7,300. While a first year dental student Woody Hayes made him the freshman football coach. Folks, that's heady stuff. But his greatest victory was to marry his high school sweetheart, Sally Ann, and he loved hear dearly until he took his final breath.

As I think back I've written about this man before but once is not enough. At the very least it softens my heart to repeat, on this day, my love for him.

Dr. Bowermaster is the most interesting and kindest man I've ever met. He numbered among his best friends Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus, Sam Snead, David Ledbetter, GH Bush, GW Bush, John Boehner, Woody Hayes, Sean Connery and many too numerous to mention. Gosh, I wish I'd written down all the people, friends and stories he's related to me. But the neat thing about Doc was he didn't brag about his relationships. Every human being was his normal everyday friend with no exceptions. As far as he was concerned MJ Hawkeye was on a par with Arnold Palmer.

One day we were on his patio talking about club members at Muirfield Village. I asked how, considering I was an Iowa boy of lowly beginnings, I'd fit in at one of the most prestigious clubs in the world. He told me, and I was so humbled; he said I had more character and integrity than 90% of the people there. What a compliment.

Doc and I did some serious talking once in awhile. A year ago he ran into some very serious legal problems but has since been vindicated by some crooks who, using Iowa vernacular, tried to screw him out of money.
I was in his office and offered any help I could give. I finally said, and this is so many times difficult for men, "Doc, I want you to know I love you". This is a very private man but I was so gratified when he said, "MJ, I feel the same exact way about you".

Of course you all realize this blog is therapy for me. I wanted to give you some small insight into the magnificent creation God gave to the world. He was a true gentleman and a gentle man. I'm hurting but Doc isn't anymore and that's a good thing.

Arnold Palmer was a personal friend and business partner. I'm sure The King was there to welcome my buddy home.

6 comments:

grandpa said...

Great article. Sorry about Doc.

Unknown said...

This is a wonderful tribute.

Unknown said...

Connie

Unknown said...

Connie

Unknown said...

This is a wonderful tribute.

glenn said...

At the end of the day, MJ, it's all about the people we knew and cared for. I'm glad you had doc, and I'll bet he's glad he had you.

-- the Aspen beat