Friday, October 14, 2011

Survival, Part I

Why is it a four hour driving trip from one area to another seems quicker and more interesting that a different trip involving the same time slot? I'm not talking about driving through the Mohave Desert, either. It is exactly the same distance from Dublin, Ohio to sixty miles west of Indianapolis as it is from St.Louis to Kansas City. The St. Loo trip is akin to driving through Hell, each and every day.
My Council Bluffs Cowboy friend suggested Lizzie and I get off I-70 just west of Indy and take Highway 40 west. We could drive at a slower pace and enjoy the scenery. I let him know that when I was a salesman I had driven to and through every town in Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, West Virginia, Kentucky and the province of Ontario Canada. I did not want a leisurely drive but what did a get? I got a leisurely drive. The interstate from Indy to Terre Haute was a massive parking lot. We were directed to Highway 40. That Cowboy guy is some kind of clairvoyant.
There's been a directional change of plans for the return trip. I'll bypass sw Indiana and take The Queen to Springfield, Illinois. She's never visited Lincoln's home and burial site. I'll come out smelling like tomorrow's flowers and I-70 will be last year's memory.

No comments: