Thursday, October 27, 2011

We Are Dufusesssssssssssssss

I wasn't a very good student in high school or college. The reason for this is, unless I was passionate about a subject, I blew it off and was happy to take a C-, even some kind of D. Let's be honest, the real reason I went to college was to play sports. There were three college teachers at Coe in Cedar Rapids who got me excited about the subject matter: Dr. Goellner was my anatomy instructor. He was funny and brought the subject matter to life. We had skeletons and actual brains from some donor. It's too bad they had to be wasted on me. Dr. Settles taught Religions of Mankind. Interesting stuff. The best was Dr. Lisio. His knowledge of American History was fantastic and every student vied to get into his class.
I graduated college in 1968 with a $3,000 loan debt. I'm the sort of guy who, as the days flittered by, forgot about the loan I received three years earlier. By August of 1968 I didn't have a job and I wasn't really looking for one. I kept thinking the Pittsburgh Pirates organization was going to come knocking on my door. As time went by I came to the realization that this was a fantasy land plan. Anyway, around mid-August I saw an ad in the Des Moines Register that New Hartford High School was looking for a teacher/basketball coach. I got an interview and drove the two hours to this farm town just west of Cedar Falls. The Super, Cleo McGinnis, offered me the job on the spot. I asked him why(the real reason was it was getting late in the year, I'm sure)he hired me so quickly and he said it was because I wore a suit and was fifteen minutes early for the interview.
My take home pay for the school year 1968-69 was $404.12 per month. If you're slow at math that's $20.03 per day. It's funny how we forget debt. It's no wonder I did. I had the '68 Pontiac GTO to make monthly payments on and there were many beers to drink while I tried to impress the ladies. The "lady adventure" didn't last long. Lizzie entered my life in March of 1969.
Nine months later Lizzie and I tied the knot. It was then that I told her about the loan debt. We started the process of paying back; $50.00 per month for three years but we got the job done. Years later I found out that the greatest number of those who didn't pay were doctors and lawyers. The bastards!
This brings us to today. Barack H. Obama was in Colorado yesterday speaking to some college students someplace. If he was smart he'd have gone to the U. of Colorado in Boulder. It's loaded with communist types like him. His biggest cheer was received when he told the 'kids' that the government was going to reduce their loan debt. HOORAY, they cheered. I've enclosed an attachment from the Atlantic Monthly, hardly a conservative site, saying that their monthly debt will be reduced by between $4 and $8 dollars. Eight stinking dollars a month. Oh, how wonderful 'The Leader' can be in times of economic turmoil.
Furthermore, the debt limit will be reduced from 25 years to 20 years. Do you understand this? If twenty years goes by and you haven't paid off your loan it will be forgiven. Why would anyone in there right mind give the loaner anything at all? The big exception to this would be that it's on your credit rating forever---if you live that long. By that time maybe you can get an alias. Obama did it with his Social Security #. Do you know what this student loan default boils down to? Lizzie and I are Dufusesssssessss of the highest order.

No comments: