Thursday, September 1, 2016

This 'N That From Dublin Ohio And Where The Heck Is Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

Here's an interesting thought. If Bill Clinton had a son he'd look like Anthony Weiner.

The Queen and I have come to an executive decision. We will be residing in our Minnesota lake home in '17 from May through September. If I can't stand it that long I'll have our carpenter construct gallows behind the garage.

My apologies to my dear cousin from Wisconsin for not writing the blog about Oconomowoc, his now residence located 30 miles west of Milwaukee off I-94 . It's a community of 15,000 and referred to as Newport R.I. West. For instance, the Pabst Brewing family built a mansion in the late 1800's rivalling anything the Vanderbilt's did. In addition, the Miller family among others also built homes there. There are, in the town, five beautiful lakes with prices ranging from 'we can't afford it' to 'don't even think about it'.

The best aspect of Oconomowoc is pronouncing the name. It is the quintessential Wisconsin name, Indian of course. Here's the deal. Start of with a long o sound. Then the con has a short o. The next o is long. The mo is long and, finally, woc has a short vowel.

Folks from outside the state, let's say Alabamians, would take twenty minutes to do the pronunciation. If you're a native cheese head it's said faster than uttering the word "Huh".

I loved seeing my cousin and his sister who drove down from Cedarburg. I don't have many relatives outside of my immediate family for good reason. They're all dead.


Here's something for you snowbirds to think about. We used to winter in Destin, Florida. It's called the 'Redneck Riviera'. Prices are cheaper than in the southern part of the state due to the rascally sometimes cold and rain. Even so, one can secure a beachfront condo for around $1,200 monthly.

We were in Portugal two years ago and loved it. South of Lisbon is an area called Algarve. The winter temps average around sixty F. I've been checking around for winter locales and we could fly to the Algarve, find a nice beach front condo for less cash than we can in Destin.

Dublin has opened a new round about. It's a mess. On average folks seem to be averaging on accident per day at this particular intersection. I don't know why. There must be twenty others in the City. FYI The first round about's were built in Portugal and that was before the invention of the car. (I'm jesting about the car).

Not one word today about the political situation. I'm regaining my sanity.

No comments: