Sunday, January 20, 2019

Afterthoughts On The Snowstorm

Here I am, still alive and kicking after the big snowstorm. I survived!

Realistically it wasn't all that much. Dublin, Ohio had 3-4" inches of snow blanketing yesterday's ice storm. I awakened to 30 to 40 mph winds with a chill of zero. It's not pleasant weather but it won't keep The Queen and I from attending Mass. We who grew up in the Midwest would refer to this weather as balmy.

I had mentioned last week about the new concept of coming up with names for snowstorms. Our local WTVN radion station posed the same question yesterday. When did it begin? I don't recall the name of this one but our previous storm, a wimpy one, was called Gia. I'd like to make a suggestion about naming storms. Why not do it this way. If one is supposed to be not so great why not name it Twiggy of Olive Oyl. If it's supposed to be a lollapalooza it'd be called Fatty Arbuckle, Oliver Hardy or Big Bertha. If you think Bertha is sexist remember Callaway Golf made made millions selling Big Bertha irons and woods.

Maybe these storms are part of a collusion. Weather forecasters come up with an idea for a storm. They pass it onto grocery stores to increase sales. Get it? It's all part of a huge scam to grease palms.

Every time I read about storms there's a period when I think about settlers on the Plains in the 1800's. Can one only imagine what it was like when real snow storms occurred? Consider living in a sod house with your closest neighbor thirty miles away and you have to burn cow paddy's to keep warm. It'd be horrible. And then there was always the possibility the TV would break and there'd have been little to do but talk to each other. If a person was by themselves, well, I suspect this is how the idea of mental hospitals got started.

One aspect of the lack of storms today(and I don't blame this on global warming) is that kids don't have the opportunity to put cash in their pockets. My buddy, Dick Musser and I, made a small fortune shoveling sidewalks in the late 50's. Across the street from us was a man and women and, and I'm not kidding, Neighbor. They lived on a corner lot but still we're kind enough to give us $2.00 for our efforts.

I miss those days. Muss and I would go to a movie, buy popcorn and coke and revel in the thought of a job well done.

We anxiously hoped the next Fatty Arbuckle would come soon.

No comments: