Wednesday, November 20, 2019

At 74 We're Still Kicking Up Our Heels

My high school classmates turn 74 this year or next; unless you happen to have flunked a couple of times. Can I say it? Seventy-four sucks. My dad died at 74 in 1994. That doesn't seem that long ago, He would have lived longer except he played the game of life on a daily basis like it should start in a bar and end in the same place.

To be honest except for the five pills I take in the morning along with a breathing device to allow my lungs to work, the three pills I take at night, eyeglasses, hearing aids, and a yearly colonoscopy I'm relatively healthy. Since I have what appears to be a very large bush on the top of my head many citizens take me for 65. I'll take it.

I was on the net last week looking for old people jokes. A good buddy of mine who has been that way since 1953 turns 74 on Nov. 21 and I wanted to send him a few denigrating comments. Instead I came across information about determining old age.

Get this, There are three stages of old:



  • The “young old” are aged 65 to 74. This group is nicknamed the “go-go years.” People in this group tend to be active and often do a lot of traveling. We also don't need walkers to go-go to the potty.
  • The “middle old” is aged 75 to 84. This group is sometimes called the “slow-go years.” People in this group have become less active.
  • The “old-old” group is aged 85 and older. This group is referred to as the "no-go years” because people in this age group are the least likely to be active. There are currently six million people in this age group and is the fastest growing age group.

Isn't this wonderful for the Class of '64. So, we've got this going for us. As for the rest of the folks, sucks to be you.



No comments: