Saturday, November 16, 2019

She Might Have An Over Inflated Ego

While on the witness stand yesterday ex-Ukrainian ambassador, Maria Yovanovitch stated that her plight of losing her job compared equally with the loss of lives at Benghazi. That's quite a statement.

I remember when I lost my first job. I was coaching at a small Catholic H.S. in northwest Iowa. The year was 1971. We were 17-5 but didn't make the state basketball finals. The booster club decided they wanted to go in a different direction. To further complicate my situation I was married and the father of a small child.When the boosters had completed their task I took the podium and stated, "This reminds me of when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor". Actually, I didn't even come close to saying this.

I left the building, went home and told my wife and, viola, a months later had a much better job in Ottumwa, Iowa.

It's not like Yovanovitch was left destitute. She wasn't homeless on the street but reassigned to another position.

I don't know what it is about the entitlement mentality but in the face of adversity many folks have it.

I was fired from another position and in a 3rd saw the handwriting on the wall so I resigned.(I wasn't a good picker of jobs). One aspect of life for me has been if you lose a job there ten better out there waiting for you so don't compare your problems to Pearl Harbor or Benghazi. That's an excuse and  Ialways remember what my high school football coach told me: "Excuses only satisfy the ones who give them"

No comments: