Sunday, October 9, 2011

Creative Writing

What I wouldn't give to be creative in writing. Some folks can wake up every day, start with a word, then write a book. It's sort of like when my son was around four years old and had a pen and paper in hand. He was a drawer from the get-go. Dinosaurs held his interest for quite some time. When I was asked to draw a picture of a person I'd make a circle for the head, throw in some eyes and a mouth, two dots for the nose and polish it off with a couple of ears. Matto, the drawer, would make a small line, a crease for the nose, then work his way out to complete the person. That is creative drawing.
Two days ago I was on the 15th hole at my golf club and was approaching the green. There's a pond on the right side of the hole and it's filled with fish and frogs. On the grass in front of the green was a very large frog. I'm not a biology major so let's call it a bullfrog. One of the guys said, "Is it alive"? One way to find out was for me to take my pitching wedge, put it underneath and flip it in the air. Since it didn't croak or move I surmised it was in the big pond in the sky. If I were a creative writer I could write an entire novel about 'Froggy'. Tex Ritter made millions of dollars when he sang, "Froggy went a courtin" so why couldn't I do the same on paper? I could tell the story of how it sacrificed for it's tadpole children and how they were left a legacy to carry on. Maybe 'it' threw itself at the feet of one of the heron's in the pond; an act of heroism for certain.
I should have been a writer for 'Seinfeld'. Stories about nothing are in my repertoire

No comments: